Celebrate Plastic-Free July by choosing an item in your house to swap with a plastic-free alternative.
When I started my plastic-free journey a few years ago, I felt pretty overwhelmed at first – everywhere I looked I was using something made with plastic, packaged in plastic, or shipped in plastic.
But perfectionism is the enemy of progress, so this year I decided to take it one step – one product – at a time and now I’ve found a collection of great products for all the rooms in our house.
Although we’re not 100% zero waste, we’ve significantly cut down on single-use plastic and have become so much more aware of how we can continue to do better.
Watch the video for a review of my favorite products and sources, including options for personal care swaps, plastic-free cleaning, and plastic-free shopping. See links below to review my favorite products; some include affiliate links for which I earn a commission – but all are products I personally use and love.
Since creating this video, I’ve discovered a few new plastic-free options that work great for our family. One is Repurpose; I specifically love their biodegradable kitchen trash bags that actually WORK (as in – don’t break when I use them). Check them out also for bamboo paper towels, toilet paper, and compostable single-use plasticware, cups, and plates.
Plastic-Free Swaps Video Content
Time stamp for each topic included in parentheses; fast-forward to relevant content.
Why is plastic a problem? (1:51)
- How it’s made
- How it affects our health
- How it’s disposed of
- Choosing thoughtful alternatives to plastic
Plastic-Free Personal Care Swaps (6:36)
- Shampoo & Conditioner (6:40): Lush, HiBar
- Toothpaste Bites with Fluoride (8:10): available from Tiny Yellow Bungalow
- Floss (9:10): Etee or from Tiny Yellow Bungalow
- Native Deodorant (9:46)
- Body Lotion from Queen of the Meadow (11:15)
- Neutrogena Bar Face Wash (12:05)
- Body Soap from Tiny Yellow Bungalow
Plastic-Free Cleaning Supplies (12:39)
- Loofah Scrubbers from Tiny Yellow Bungalow (12:42)
- Toilet Brush from Tiny Yellow Bungalow (13:24)
- Bar Dish Soap from Tiny Yellow Bungalow (13:44)
- Liquid Hand Soap (14:12): Blueland and Tiny Yellow Bungalow
- Dishwasher Detergent from Seventh Generation (15:13)
- Laundry Detergent (16:06): Bar to dilute from Tiny Yellow Bungalow or Laundry Washing Strips from Tiny Yellow Bungalow
- Dryer Balls (17:04)
- Toilet Paper, Tissues, Paper Towels from Who Gives a Crap (17:24)
Plastic-Free Shopping (18:25)
- Reusable Tote Bags Bags (18:37): Peas & Hoppiness and Tiny Yellow Bungalow
- Reusable Bulk Bags from Tiny Yellow Bungalow (18:50)
- Reusable Produce Bags from Tiny Yellow Bungalow (19:17)